It was a confronting week in a number of different ways. Definitely not quite back on an upward swing yet! Under pinning all this is a personal milestone this week – a switch from money set aside for this venture, to now starting to eat into personal savings.
- Performance is crucial. To effectively do many of the next round of deliverables (effective reports, index more users, dynamically indexed results, micro sites, API access etc.) we really need to improve the database performance. We've "bitten" the bullet and we are now moving on to a database performance sprint. The goal – sub 1 second for every query (for comparison, queries for some really popular topics like iPad can take around a minute at the moment).
- There is lots of opportunity for our SEO – this has meant me learning to write content for search engines as well as people (i.e. make it attractive to both) and we have also redesigned and integrated our blog now with several improvements. It's a longer term goal, but good content helps build and demonstrate our relevance and expertise for the future.
- New blog template up.
- Really a pretty slow week.
- Lots to think about – it's worth stopping and considering where you are and challenging assumptions, even if it does make you feel uncomfortable.
- Aim to get out 8 or so high quality posts and in particular focus less on the "entertainment" side of the data and more on the educational side.
- Lots of customer meetings and follow up – I want to get 4 sales this week.
- 2 week sprint to implement HyperTable – we feel the need for speed.
- Minor enhancements while the HyperTable implementation is going on.