I’m loving this “radical transperancy” experiment. Already I’ve had so manyoffers of support and great advice from RoR people around Melbourne andelsewhere, it’s made it worthwhile for day 1. Morning admin, reading andcatch up took a while though! Decks not clear to start until 11AM.
11AM – After reflecting overnight, I think Rails is muddying the picture forme at the moment – what I really need is a Ruby GEM which I’m going toimplement with Fibres that handles the basic streaming. Downloaded thisbasic Rails framework which wraps a Twitter REST client.https://github.com/jnunemaker/twitter-app/
11.30 – Registered a new app for testing, implemented the keys into the testapp and gave it a run!
1.40PM – Lots of fail. Errors and no idea why. Post lunch, stepping backto do some basic things first, still not sure how the whole Rails world fitstogether, maybe a bit more walking before running is in order…
2PM – Confusion runs riot installing RSPEC. Python installs modulesglobally, but looks like Rails loads Gems with each app (so had to run gemrspec_rails from the project directory). Can see the benefit, but trickedme for a bit.
2.05PM – More dependencies… RSpec wants autotest, then we need webrat. Webrat needs NokoGiri… Or at least some extensions that come with it…* sudo apt-get install libxslt-dev libxml2-dev* sudo gem install nokogiri* sudo gem install webrat
2.54PM – Database configuration with MySQL. More supposedly “default” railsthings that just aren’t installed. Somewhat tedious! Still, getting the hangof it now.* sudo gem install mysql23PM – Almost… looks like I need to specify it in the GemFile. All makessense, but the getting started guide could make mention ofit! Finally a successful rake:* rake db:create
4.50PM – Break while I collected son from school, but lots of good progress.Created some basic controllers, routes and views / HTML templates. Gettingthe hang of it. Now I’m going to try be a bit more ambitous and plug inTwitter OAuth. If I have this all “under control” I think the correct stepswill be:* Install the gem and enable it in the GemFile* Create a Twitter Controller with a few different action points(authenticate, callback) and then implement the OAuth code into these.
Wrap up for the day – I finished up around 9.30. Turns out that my problemswere more Twitter than rails related and to do with OAuth_Callbackparameters (something for another post). I did eventually get somethingworking, which is almost ready now, so I feel I’m making some good Railsprogress. Also I think that the client I used at the start of the day WOULDwork, it was a Twitter related issue.
I know Twitter are chaning their OAuth flows to be more compliant though, soa little bit of time here to make sure it’s implemented right is worthwhile.
It was a fairly interrupted day with my wife away in Sydney, daughter sickand school and dinner duties.