Some positive differences
In all the angst of settling into a new house, arguing with PwC over small things that should be included in our opinion, and shouldn’t in theirs, it can be easy to lose sight of the fact that this has been overwhelmingly a positive experience so far. Here are just some of the things that we love about London.
- Digital TV done right. I’ve never agreed with the Australian approach of persisting with one channel, done in HD. The UK have around four channels per provider, including my favourite the +1. This just runs the shows from the main channel one hour later. No more conflicting shows, you can watch one on one channel, then watch the run on the other an hour later.
- The transport. It’s all sensational. At peak times, tubes are running every two minutes.
- Oyster Cards. I think that they are implementing something similar in Melbourne, but this is a stored value card which you swipe to get in and out of the tube or bus and it just deducts the trip value automatically. Much more convinient than paper tickets, and easy to top up to store as much or as little money on it as you like.
- The hustle and bustle. There is always a lot of activity, particularly in the city. Always things happening to do and see.
- All the small difference that let you know you are somewhere new.
- The milk. Don’t know why, it just tastes better.
Of course there are lots of things we miss as well, but London is proving to be a fascinating city to live in.